Whether your firm uses diesel vehicles, you might ask if there’s a significant boon to gas. This variant is CNG (CNG).
Today, many vehicles are on the road, from cars to trucks to buses. Each vehicle has its fuel injection system maintenance and performance requirements.
If your business relies on diesel engines, you may wonder if there’s a more environmentally-friendly alternative to gasoline. That alternative is compressed natural gas (CNG).
CNG Hydro-Testing: What You Need to Know
CNG cylinders can be hydro-tested like gasoline cylinders, and they’re just as safe to operate. Here are three things you need to know about CNG cylinder hydro-testing:
What is a hydro-test?
A hydro-test is a safety test used to check the integrity of compressed gas cylinders. It’s similar to a regular safety test but uses water instead of air. The water creates pressure inside the cylinder and checks for leaks and cracks.
How is CNG cylinder hydro-testing done?
To do a CNG cylinder hydro-test, you first need to fill the cylinder with water. Then, you connect the cylinder to a pressure gauge and start pumping water into the cylinder until the pressure reaches 500 psi. Finally, you stop pumping the water and check for leaks using a leak detector.
Is CNG cylinder hydro-testing safe?
Yes, CNG cylinder hydro-testing is safe.
What does CNG Cylinder Hydro-Testing entail?
The hydro-test of a cylinder is a process that measures the pressure and temperature of the gas inside the cylinder. It is essential for both safety and emissions compliance. A hydro-test can be used to check for leaks or other malfunctions in the system.
Actions taken throughout the test results
The results of a CNG cylinder hydro-test will show the amount of water in the cylinder. The actions that are taken based on the test results are as follows:
- Cylinder depressurization and venting of gases.
- Unlocking of valves and examination of the inside
- Cylinder maintenance, including drying and cleaning of the inside,
- Ultra – sonic Measurement of Thickness Examination and Testing of the Cylindrical Wall Stretch Due to Hydrostatic Pressure Examination and Running Tests of the Cylinder
- Cleanup of the cylinder’s inside and outside, as well as drying it off
- Evaluating the Cylinder’s Unloaded Poundage (Tare Weight)
- Inspections are conducted both within and without.
- Establishment of the Crankshaft Placement on the Automobile or Cascades
- Giving Certification of Inspection for the Cylinders
The Significance of CNG Hydro-Testing
CNG cylinders are becoming increasingly popular as a transportation fuel because of their environmental benefits.
- One such benefit is that they produce relatively little carbon dioxide when burned, which is essential in mitigating climate change.
- CNG hydro-testing is a process used to measure carbon dioxide emissions and other pollutants from CNG cylinders.
- The testing is done in an environmentally controlled chamber to simulate real-world conditions.
- Understanding how your CNG cylinder performs under varying environmental conditions ensures that your vehicle delivers the most efficient fuel performance possible.
The estimated cost of CNG Hydro-testing
There is no definitive answer to this question as the cost of CNG Hydro-testing can vary greatly depending on various factors, including the particular type of hydro-test required and the specific location where it will be performed.
However, hydro-testing of CNG cylinders can cost between $5,000 and $10,000 per test plot.
Contact us to have your cylinders checked. We can help ensure the safe operation of your vehicle and save you money in the long run.