Logistics involve the detailed coordination of a complex operation involving many people, facilities, or supplies. By definition, the logistics behind the preparation and fulfillment of heavy equipment and freight shipping involve a complex matrix of expertise and responsibility that helps ensure the smooth execution of freight shipping in Canada.
PREPARING FOR HEAVY EQUIPMENT AND FREIGHT SHIPPING
Let’s start with the details involved in shipping heavy equipment. Whether that means large, oversized, overweight construction machinery, industrial parts, or large-scale commercial components like windmill blades, there is a definite right way for cross border freight companies to collaborate with flatbed trucking providers to ensure things are done safely. Competent shipping companies in Toronto follow some simple steps to facilitate heavy equipment and freight shipping in Canada:
- Working with experts is the first step. There are many 3PL providers that have vast experience in organizing and fulfilling the shipment of heavy loads. Their expertise can ensure all areas are covered, from proper permits to arranging escorts for heavy loads to finding the right flatbed trucking company to tackle the job. Hauling heavy equipment requires a team that understands the challenges of moving oversized loads along public highways, which often involves co-existing with regular commuter traffic. Only a professional 3PL working in concert with respected heavy-haul providers can complete the job safely. When it comes to freight shipping, it’s also critical to work with experts, whether you’re shipping domestically or internationally. Experts in 3PL fulfillment can take care of the export and import duties and deal with any restrictions or roadblocks that may arise when shipping freight across provinces, states and borders. Dealing with customs authorities can often mean swimming in murky waters, as governments change and regulations come and go. Equipment can be quarantined just as easily as people can, so if you’re shipping heavy equipment it’s good to have an ally working on your behalf.
- Regardless of whether you’re shipping heavy equipment or packaged freight, it’s important to know the specs of the load you’re shipping. Accurate measurement of weight and the full dimensions of the load are details required for everyone involved to complete their responsibilities successfully. Compliance is always critical, and providing accurate specs is a major step in ensuring your shipments will make it to their destination without hassle. A good 3PL provider knows how to deal with any restrictions related to freight shipping in Canada. In addition, securing an accurate quote on shipping costs is contingent on providing accurate specs. This is especially true for shipping companies in Toronto tasked with moving heavy, unusually shaped loads. Specs will determine the process involved in the shipping and the ultimate cost of moving whatever the load is.
- Establishing a budget is also a critical step in arranging shipment of heavy loads and other freight. There are many costs related to the shipment of construction equipment, for example, including loading and unloading charges, insurance, and import taxes, duties, and port delivery if your equipment is being shipped from overseas. Know what you’re willing to spend before deciding if shipping is worth the cost of purchasing.
STEPS INVOLVED IN MAKING INFORMED SUPPLY CHAIN DECISIONS
Now that we’ve established that freight shipping in Canada is a complicated process, what are some of the things that must be considered to make supply chain decisions easier throughout the entire process? Let’s take a look at some of the steps involved.
- Start by choosing the best transportation option. Construction equipment is a huge investment whether you’re purchasing or renting for a specific purpose. Flatbed trucking is the usual and most obvious choice to facilitate the shipping of large equipment, machinery and oversized loads. Working with an experienced 3PL, you can quickly determine what your best option will be in terms of professional competency, capacity to complete the job, safety, and affordability. Your 3PL should be working with a vast network of carriers from which to choose to make the job of choosing easier.
- Ensure the transportation company you’re working with has a stable list of competent drivers. The labor shortage in freight transportation is growing, and the carrier community has had to take steps to ensure more qualified people are being attracted to the industry. This has meant offering better compensation including blended base salary with mileage compensation, updating benefits packages, offering more training, newer trailers, and broadening recruitment to include women and visible minorities. Your 3PL should be working with cross border freight companies that have addressed the labor shortage and can guarantee capacity to fulfill your shipping requirements.
- Another important factor to consider is packing shipments. When it comes to CPG freight, for example, shipping companies in Toronto know the importance of palletizing shipments. Selecting the right pallet, whether wood or plastic, is important to ensure your freight remains safe and secure to reduce the risk of damage. Damaged freight reduces profits for the shipper and the company tasked with moving those goods. All freight, whether oversized construction equipment or stacks of boxes inside a dry van transport, need to be properly labeled. The label should include your information and the information from the receiver, along with full addresses and inclusion of the bill of lading and/or PRO numbers.
TRUST NATS CANADA FOR SHIPPING OF HEAVY LOADS AND FREIGHT
At NATS CANADA, our team is committed to ensuring our clients receive exceptional customer service through every stage of the flatbed trucking process. Using NATS Canada for freight shipping in Canada means you gain access to one of the largest networks of flatbed shipping companies in North America. Through our vast years of experience, NATS Canada has aligned our 3PL services with the most professional trucking and shipping operations on both sides of the border. Our mission is to get your goods, equipment, and supplies where they need to go safely and affordably. From the best new technology to the most experienced service professionals, NATS Canada is the best choice for flatbed freight shipping. For more information visit https://www.natscanada.com/services/flatbed-ftl-trucking-and-shipping.