Did you know that a cybersecurity career is among the fastest-growing professional sectors in the United States and according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, cybersecurity employment would expand at a rate of 31% through 2029. This suggests that cybersecurity will continue to offer higher employment in the coming years with the best wages.
This enthuses many tech-savvy people to enter this field. However, due to many unanswered questions, they are not willing to take up this chance. So I thought why not give them the clarity about the skills to enter this field. In this blog, let’s find out the answers to some of the most often asked questions about a successful career in Cyber Security.
First things first, How many skills do a Cyber Security expert require?
Cyber Security has been built with various phases and no doubt it is hard to understand and learn everything. But to enter this Cyber Security field there are some most important Cyber Security Skills. These can be classified into 7 categories are as follows:
- Technical Skills
- Hacking Skills
- Threat Intelligence
- Programming Skills
- Analytical Skills
- Cloud Skills
- IT Skills
What are the technical skills required for a Cyber Security role?
Cyber Security technical skills and top IT security courses will help you work more effectively, gain confidence, and become a more desirable prospect for companies. In a demanding and complex position, individuals with technical competence are frequently better at multitasking. The following are the top technical skills in which you should become proficient.
- Blockchain Security: Blockchain is a developing technology that will most likely form the backbone of different security solutions. It plays a vital role in securing the company’s data. So you need to learn it.
- Networking Skills: Analyzing and resolving high-level security vulnerabilities on a network necessitates strong technical networking abilities.
- Computer forensics: Computer forensics is concerned with what happens after a cyber-attack. So it is important to have a knowledge of forensics to rectify the issues.
- SIEM Management: A security professional must be able to administer and evaluate SIEM tools and services. So, you need to know how to manage SIEM.
- Firewall/IDS/IPS Skills: Understanding how IDS/IPS Skills/Firewalls operate is required to avoid unwanted access to the system and monitor network activity.
- Identity and Access Management (IAM): A security professional must be aware of best practices for Identity and Access Management (IAM) to ensure security policies.
What hacking skills do I need to become a Cyber Security professional?
You’ll need to know how hacking works to secure your company from cybercrime. Ethical hacking is a skill set required to protect sensitive data from adversaries. It protects data from being used for extortion by those looking to take advantage of your weakness. You need to know the tools and techniques used in hacking. Hands-on experience in this will be more useful.
What is threat intelligence and Why do I need to learn it?
Threat intelligence, also known as cyber threat intelligence, is data that an organization utilizes to better comprehend the dangers that have targeted, will target, or are now attacking it. This information is used to anticipate, anticipate, and detect threats attempting to exploit important assets. You need to learn this because this will help you to understand the attacker’s behavior.
Which programming languages do I need to learn to get into Cyber Security?
Cyber Security do need expertise in some programming languages such as
- C, C++
Do I need soft skills to pursue this career? If yes, What are they?
Of course, we need soft skills in a Cyber Security career. As in a responsible position to secure the entire infrastructure and applications of the company, you need to comprehend with others. And to do that, we definitely need communication skills. Along with that, you must know how to lead a team and find conflict resolutions. The following is the list of soft skills for a Cyber Security engineer.
- Communication skills
- Team Leadership
- Constant learning
- Conflict resolutions
What analytical skills will be helpful in a Cyber Security career?
Analytical skills are always helpful in a competitive career like Cyber Security where you solve various problems each and every day. So adding analytical skills will make you perform better in this job.
- Research and discovery
- Logic reasoning
- Critical Thinking
Why do I need to learn cloud skills in the Cyber Security profession?
As more businesses move to the cloud, virtualized security solutions are becoming increasingly important to safeguard and protect sensitive data. Companies utilize cloud security experts when they transition to the cloud. As a result, the cloud-based security competency will equip you with the necessary bases for securing information in the cloud.
What are the top IT skills a Cyber Security expert needs to learn?
The following are the IT skills that every Cyber Security expert needs to learn.
- Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning: Security specialists may use AI/ML to better comprehend the cyber environment and spot unusual activities.
- DevSecOps: DevSecOps skills are related to coding, automation technologies, and understanding how to build secure apps and products.
- IoT Security: IoT security is concerned with the protection of internet-connected devices and networks.
I hope you have found answers to all your questions regarding skills for a Cyber Security career. Learning Cyber Security can be complicated but it is definitely worth it.