VPN stands for “Virtual Private Network”. When you use a VPN, you connect to the internet through one of the VPN’s servers. In doing so, your device’s traffic is encrypted, protecting you from some of the security threats coming from public Wi-Fi hotspots. Aside from being beneficial for your privacy, a VPN lets you unblock geo-restricted content, including streaming services such as Netflix, Skybe.
If your mobile phone has an internet connection, you can share that connection with other devices like laptops and other phones. This process is called tethering.
To tether, the device needs to connect to your phone via wireless LAN, Bluetooth, or a USB cable. Know Which VPN Apps Support Hotspot, and once another device can access the web, your phone becomes a mobile hotspot.
VPN tethering is when you have an active VPN connection on the mobile device you use for tethering.
Because this hotspot makes your mobile phone a portable router, the mobile service will monitor the connection. As a result, you may experience slower connections, and data may run out sooner rather than later when you’re using a hotspot.
Fortunately, there are workarounds to this issue. The simplest is to use a VPN. Know about Which VPN Apps Support Hotspot; here is a list of apps,
- NordVPN: Best VPN for accessing public Wi-Fi. Over 5,000 servers worldwide for unblocking Netflix, Skype and more. Easy VPN to use and 24/7 live chat support. Secure with encryption, a no-logs policy and automatic VPN connection for Wi-Fi. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN. Growing network of servers, excellent unblocking ability, lots of security extras, and no connection limit. Beginner-friendly apps and around-the-clock support.
- ExpressVPN: Strong security and excellent speed. Servers in 94 countries unblock most geo-restricted content, including Netflix. Easy to use, 24/7 customer support and plenty of security features, including encryption and a kill switch.
- CyberGhost: Fast and reliable servers for streaming and video calling. Secure up to 7 devices simultaneously. Protects your privacy with encryption, a strict no-logs policy and a wifi auto-protect feature.
- IPVanish: Secure up to 10 of your devices. Servers in 60 countries for unblocking geo-restricted content. Keeps zero traffic logs and secures your data with encryption.
- PrivateVPN: Fast VPN service for streaming and video calling. Easy to use apps and safe to use with encryption, a no-logs policy, and a kill switch.
The best VPNs for public Wi-Fi hotspots are those that provide a high level of security while offering high-speed servers and easy to use apps. Therefore, it is narrowed down the options and only selected the VPNs that offer the following:
- Highest level of security with encryption.
- Additional security such as DNS leak protection and kill switch.
- No logs policy that protects your privacy.
- Fast and reliable servers for browsing, streaming and video calling.
- A network of servers in dozens of countries worldwide.
- Customer support with a live chat feature.
- User-friendly apps for desktop and mobile.
By using a VPN, you can create a private tunnel between your device and the VPN server. Traffic is encrypted in the process, protecting you from snoopers such as your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or the hotspot provider. Know Which VPN Apps Support Hotspots and the best VPNs for public Wi-Fi hotspots offer essential security features such as encryption, protection from DNS leaks and a kill switch. There should also be a strict no-logs policy to protect your privacy.